Frequently asked Questions - Nose

  • 1. Is picking nose harmful?
    A. Nose picking can cause trauma to the nose and lead to infections and bleeding, so it should be avoided.

    2. I have a tendency to sneeze a lot every morning/ on exposure to dust. What could be the problem?
    A. Recurrent sneezing usually points towards "allergy". Allergic rhinitis is a fairly common condition in which people tend to have recurrent sneezing which is usually initiated by exposure to some external agent like dust, fumes, pollens etc. Effective treatment requires proper medical management and control of environmental exposure. This should be planned in consultation with an ENT specialist

    3. I am 24 year,male/ female sufferring from recurrent nose block and cold for last couple of years. Is there any solution for this?
    A. This condition needs a detailed work up which may include a CT scan of paranasal sinuses and a Nasal endocopy, to identify the various causes like "deviated nasal septum", "nasal polyp", "chronic rhinosinusitis", allergic rhinosinusitis" etc. All these conditions may present with similar symptoms. You are strongly adviced to consult a ENT specialist for a detailed workup. Based on the evaluation, the treatment plan may range from some medication to endoscopic surgeries to clear the disease from the sinuses.

    4. My 8 year old boy/ girl is having recurrent episodes of cold and nose block. He/ she seems to be snoring at night. Is it a cause of concern?
    A. Recurrent cold and nose block in children is usually due to enlargement of the adenoids. It is very common in children between the age of 5 to 12 years. Management of this condition will require detailed evaluation of the child. One or two such episodes can be managed conservatively with medicines. More than 4 such episodes in a year may warrant a surgical intervention to remove the adenoids. If neglected, it may lead to various long term complications like "adenoid facies", stunted growth, hearing loss (due to otitis media). Best option would be to consult an ENT specialist to decide on an appropiate line of management.

    In case of any further queries kindly pay a visit or drop an email.