Frequently asked Questions - Head & Neck

  • 1. I am a 30 year, female. I have been told that i am sufferring from hypothyroidism. Do i need to be worried?
    A. Hypothyroidism can be due to various conditions which can be best assessed by a detailed physical examination and hormone studies. Primary hypothyroidism is a fairly common condition and can cause symptoms like generalised body swelling,fatigue, loss of hair etc. Although a bit disturbing, it can be managed fairly well with thyroid hormone supplementation in adequate doses which can be best done in consultation withdoctors dealing in thyroid disorders like ENT specialist.

    2. I have a swelling in the lower part of the neck, which moves up on swallowing. What is it?
    A. Neck swellings can arise from may structures like thyroid, lymph nodes, branchial cyst, carotid body, arterivenous malformations etc. A proper diagnosis can only be made after a proper examination by an ENT specialist

    3. I have thyroid swelling. how can it be treated?
    A. Thyroid swelling can be due to multiple conditions which require detailed examination which includes (not limited to)a proper physical examination, a ultrasonography of neck, hormonal studies to assess thyroid function, and Fine needle aspiration cytology (FNAC) from the swelling. Once these tests are done, and we get an idea as to the primary diagnosis, a proper line of management can be planned. Conditions like Hashimoto's thyroiditis, subacute thyroiditis etc may be managed conservatively. Other conditions like Follicular adenoma/ carcinoma, Papillary carcinoma, Medullary carcinoma may need surgical intervention. This may best be decided in consultation with an ENT specialist

    4. I have been told that the swelling beneath my ear is a PArotid swelling. What is it? What can be done about it?
    A. Parotids are a pair of salivary glands situated below the ears (one each on both sides). These tumours are not that common but when present are usually not cancerous, although that can only be confirmed on proper tissue analysis by a pathologist. Best course of action would be to consult an ENT specialist and get a proper assessment done. Usual treatment for these tumours is surgical excision of the enlarged Parotid gland, which can be effectively performed by an ENT specialist.

    In case of any further queries kindly pay a visit or drop an email.